Thursday, August 28, 2008

{I Touched down in the land of the Delta Blues...}

I went to Memphis for the day yesterday, I had never been. I had to go visit a client and got to sight see as well. I had never been to Memphis before, even though we were THIS close to moving there at the beginning of last year.

After our meetings ended we had three choices: downtown, Graceland or Tunica. I was with 2 other coworkers who had never been to "downtown Mempsis" so that is where we landed. We had rented a car so we drove around. In our little excursion I saw:
  • The Pyramid- holy solar panel mirrors batman, you can't see a thing driving in that area
  • St. Jude's campus- very nice!
  • The Mighty Mississippi- I don't think I had ever seen it before, not sure...
  • Mud Island- don't get it...
  • Beale Street- looks fun!
  • The Orpheus
  • Lorraine Motel/Civil Rights Museum

We actually went to the Civil Rights Museum which was actually built at the sight of the Lorraine Motel {which is where MLK was assassinated}. That was an amazing place, very heavy, and such a part of history I know little about. Did you know that today is the anniversary of the famous "I have a dream" speech? Little tidbit I picked up, well worth the $14 if you ask me...It really was an amazing place and I highly recommend visiting if you are in Memphis. I even ate some Corkey's BBQ, yum!!! Over all a very interesting work trip but a really good one. Happy to be home now though!

No comments: